Incident Response Solutions, a speciality forensic and cyber business, is pleased to release the 2020 edition of the Cyber Security Guide for NZ Law Firms.
The ‘Cyber Security Guide for NZ Law Firms’ is a contextual resource to assist lawyers and law firms manage their cyber security risk.
The New Zealand Law Society state that “the storage of personal and sensitive information on clients is an integral part of the work of a lawyer”.
Publications referred to in the guide report that:
• More than a quarter of law firms experienced a data breach.
• Every respondent suffered a security incident, with the most common attack being phishing.
• The most significant cyber threats to a law firm are phishing, data breaches, ransomware and supply chain compromise.
• In quarter three 2019, there were 1,354 incident reports with phishing and credential harvesting activity 27% higher than in the previous quarter.
• Companies with an incident response team that also extensively tested their incident response plan incurred significantly less costs on average compared to those that had neither measure in place.
Cyber risk should be managed using a recognised cyber security framework. Such frameworks involve a risk assessment, the selection of applicable security controls and an achievable roadmap of improvement.
Legal professionals should also undergo cyber security training and awareness programmes to ensure they have more than a basic understanding of cyber risks.
Having worked on numerous cyber-related matters for New Zealand law firms, we are pleased to present you with this guide and accompanying collection of practical cyber security resources.
Access the Guide here: